Amethyst Mine Panorama was discovered in 1949 when an Ontario Department of Lands & Forest crew was building a forest access road north of Loon Lake.  This road was made to bring in the supplies needed to build McTavish Fire Tower and the McTavish Towerman’s cabin.  McTavish Tower is visible from the mine site. The Towerman’s cabin is located near the West end of the mine on the shore of Elbow Lake.

Photo credit, Clay Self.


Shuniah, ON, Canada

  • No comments yet.
  • Add a comment