Joss Mountain lookout was built in 1921 by the Dominion Forestry Service. The Federal Government administered the forest lands along the CPR Railway Belt until 1930 when they were turned over to the Province of BC. The lookout was abandoned after 1931.
The square style with stone foundation was used for several nearby Dominion lookouts also erected in the 1920s–Mt Cartier, Eagle Pass Mountain and Mara.
The original pack trail to the lookout followed some old logging railway grades south from Three Valley Lake before turning up Wap Creek, then up Joss Creek to Joss Pass and up the east side of the mountain. The portion from Joss Pass to the lookout still exists (about 9 km length) and is used by hikers and ATVers. About 8 years ago Shuswap Outdoors built a new hiking trail (4.5 km) from logging roads on the mountain’s west side.